To quickly access the information that interests you most, use the keywords above as a table of contents. I have documented my preparations, I hope it's useful!

2011/06/08

On Farkles

Thanks to the generous 350W output of the WR250R's stator, I'm able to charge a variety of electronic devices in addition to a heated jacket. At first I wasn't sure I wanted to have any electronics at all. I reasoned I could leave all that stuff at home and just focus on the flow of experiences. But I can't get rid of my desire to make something of it all, to create a work product.

I am a bit disappointed in myself that I couldn't just let go, but my feeling is that there's no place in our world for drop-outs. As it is, there's barely enough space even for those who work 60 hours a week. Having a laptop around allows me to keep in touch with people in the business world or study advances in technology as I'm on the road. Losing even a few months can be a big deal in the fast-paced world of web software (SaaS/cloud computing).

More importantly, I want to feel productive even if I don't take a second look at business subjects. Part of the fun of the journey is packaging it into ideas and stories using pictures, audio, and text. It's a good way for me to reflect on what all these experiences actually mean, and perhaps learn something from it. As it happens, I also have a poor memory so documenting things is my way of remembering them. Being able to share with others through forums and this blog is a bonus.

I've read a lot of adventure stories, and what seems to divide those who thrive (Thor Heyerdahl, Roald Amundsen, Dick Proenneke) from those who fail (Donald Crowhurst, Christopher McCandless, Heyerdahl's imitators) is whether they're driven by a productive spirit or by the desire to escape. Those who desire to escape seem to find that the world has no refuge for them, and many do not even find good company in themselves.

Bernard Moitissier, a sailor of immense ability and reputation, spent 10 months circumnavigating the globe for the Sunday Times Golden Globe Race in 1968. He gave up the prize to continue his voyage and found himself close to nervous breakdown as time went on. By contrast Thor Heyerdahl set out with 5 fellow Norwegians on a 45' by 20' balsa raft to help prove that the Incas could have populated the Polynesian Islands. They seemingly remained occupied, sensible, and on good terms throughout the journey. Many amateurs have followed in his footsteps for no reason in particular, and found much poorer outcomes.

Criticism can and should laid at the feet of the human desire to go forth, to dominate the environment, and pack it up for consumption, but to abandon the productive drive entirely is to abandon a part of what makes us human. It's up to me to make something out of the trip and continue developing as a human being. In a technological society, that seems to require using technology.

The technical challenge of preparing the equipment became part of the adventure itself. In the end, I arrived at a setup that should allow me to indefinitely work with audio, pictures, and writing so long as I can pour gas into my motorcycle. A Lenovo ThinkPad X120e netbook found its way into my backpack, a Pentax K10D camera around my neck, and a Zoom H2 sound recorder into my pack. The Lenovo can charge while under way, with a cable running from the backpack down to the charger in my tankbag. I bought extra batteries for my other devices which are charged in a pair of Luminair LC-17C Universal Chargers. The end result is that I can take pictures or record all day, write all evening on my X120e, and recharge everything the next day. A great incentive to keep moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment